Welcome to Rajeev & Shweta's World! I think this is the best way to keep in touch with your frends and relatives whom we may not meet often. So welcome to our site and enjoy! I will keep updating the latest happenings in our day to day lives to the site

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

HAPPY RAKSHABANDHAN



Since I would not be in office tomorrow ( its a holiday ) , I thought I should post this today. I badly wanted to visit my brother in Pune for Rakshabandan but going by the bad weather , I am sure I will be stuckup on the express highway because of the rains!


Some information about Raksha Bandhan

Rakhi - The bond of love

Raksha Bandhan is one festival that primarily belongs to the North and Western regions of India but celebrated throughout the country with the same zeal. Regional celebrations may be different but Raksha Bandhan has become an integral part of those customs.

As per the traditions, the sister on this day prepares the pooja thali with diya, roli, chawal and rakhis. She worships the deities, ties Rakhi to the brother(s) and wishes for their well being. The brother in turn acknowledges the love with a promise to be by the sisters' side through thick and thin and gives her a token gift.

The festival falls on the Shravan Purnima (full moon day of shravan month) which comes generally in the month of August. The rakhis and the sweets are bought and prepared generally before the Purnima.

As per the tradition ,the family members get ready for the rituals early. They take a bath to purify mind and body before starting any preparations. The sisters prepare the thali for the pooja. It contains the rakhi threads, kumkum powder, rice grains, diya (an earthen or a metal lamp used for worshiping), agarbattis (incense sticks) and sweets.

The Sisters tie the thread of love to their brothers amongst chanting of mantras, puts roli and rice on his forehead and prays for his well being. She bestows him with gifts and blessings. The brother also wishes her a good life and pledges to take care of her. He gives her a return gift. The gift is the physical acceptance of her love, reminder of their togetherness and a symbol of his pledge.

2 Comments:

Blogger MasalaMom said...

I wanted to post something about this holiday on my blog...but unfortunately I don't have a lot of time right now. I understand there's another holiday also that is dedicated to celebrate the 'love that sisters have for their brothers'. I find these celebrations, along with 'Karwachauth' incredibly interesting: women honouring the men of their family! I can't help wondering why I haven't seen any holidays in India that celebrate their counterparts: men celebrating in honour of their sisters and wifes. I'm sure there's a historic and cultural explanation for this (men went to war and it was great to have them return alive, so women offered prayers and fasted for their men to have long and healthy lifes).

I'm under the impression that "Mother's Day" in India is rather 'new' & 'imported' and therefore is not as important as other celebrations.

Speaking of imported celebrations, 'Valentine's Day' is quite controversial in India as it's not a traditional holiday, but the recent 'Friendship Day' is quite accepted.

I have two younger brothers...I love them dearly...I really DO!...and I know they love me too!ha ha... but if I were to celebrate Raksha Bandhan in my family...well, I would probably end up tying a rope...around their necks!...until they acknowledge that they have the coolest sister in the Universe! ;)

Thursday, August 10, 2006

 
Blogger Shweta & Rajeev's World said...

Hahaha...tying a rope round their necks!! Thats so funny. Ya I agree with you that there are hardly any traditions in India where a man celebrates the honour of the women in their lives! But thats India , where the culture is sadly still very male dominated in most parts of the country. Probabaly these traditions were also created by men in ancient times!!

Thursday, August 10, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home